Power Coating on Hot Rod After Picklex® 20 Treatment
Presented at National Hot Rod Magazine show in Huntsville, AL, April 1999
Unique Zero Cost Green Process for Complete One Step Metal Surface Preparation/Pre-treatment before Powder Coating, with Zero Waste Disposal. Eliminates removal of Mill scale for Hot rolled steel
Replacing Iron/Zinc Phosphate/Chromate systems with Equal or Better-quality Results
ZERO Adhesion failure since 1998
For all Ferrous & Non-ferrous metal surfaces (cold & hot rolled steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, stainless steel etc.).
For Hot Rolled steel with mill scale, the mill scale does not have to be removed. Picklex® 20 converts the mill scale completely (100%) to a Paintable Conversion coating
High temperature top coating can be used (baking temperature up to 2000ºF), such as High temp. Paint, Ceramic coating, Epoxy coating etc., as well any paint subjected to a high temperature operating condition.
One Step Surface Prep./Pre-treatment Process: Manual or Automated
A) Spraying Process (Picklex® 20 is Not Re-cycled): Eliminate Blasting of New Metal surface, including Hot rolled steel with mill scale
- Spray Picklex® 20 as a heavy mist on the metal surface for around 60 seconds. This step will remove light mill oil, cutting fluid, flash rust, convert weld/laser/mill scale to a conversion coating, provide a nano thickness Conversion coating, Seal the coating and stop the oxidation process, all in One Step.
- Immediately Rinse real good with regular tap water to completely remove all excess Picklex® 20 from the metal surface to avoid having any residue. Rinse water is not a Hazardous Waste. Immediately Oven Dry at 300?F for 20 minutes for complete drying
B) Dipping or Spraying Process (Picklex® 20 is Re-cycled): Eliminate Blasting of Hot rolled steel with mill scale
- Spray or Dip the parts in the Combined Picklex® 20/De-greaser at 125ºF (needs pump & filtering system) for 90 secs. This step will remove light mill oil, cutting fluid, surface rust, weld/laser scale, completely Convert the Mill Scale to a Conversion coating, provide a nano thickness Conversion coating, Seal the coating and Stop the Oxidation process, all in One Step.
- Rinse good with regular tap water for 60 seconds
- Rinse good with fresh tap water for 60 seconds (Rinse water is not a Hazardous Waste)
Oven Dry at 300?F for 20 minutes for complete drying
NOTE: Any powdery residue on the surface after drying means that, the rinsing was not done properly. A brownish color can be noticed on steel surface after drying, which is a part of the coating. Non-ferrous metal surface and Stainless steel surface will not have any color change. Picklex® 20 will provide a very long term (several months to few years) of indoor rust protection after complete drying.
Picklex® 20 provides excellent adhesion (5B) even on edges & corners and long Corrosion resistance.
The Picklex® 20 Process has Zero Waste Disposal, if the Picklex® 20 bath is kept clean with proper filtering system. Picklex® 20 is consumed completely. This process also has No waste treatment, No regular monitoring or checking pH (when the bath level goes low, just pour Picklex® 20), No Sludge, No concentration adjustment (Picklex® 20 does not deplete or lose concentration while in production), No Down Time (increases production). Rinse water is not a Hazardous Waste.
This complete process does not fall under any EPA or OSHA regulation.